WISBECH: Group turns to apple picking to help boost funds for poor of Haiti
FRIENDS of the Rosmini Centre, Wisbech and from and Our Lady and St. Charles Church turned to apple picking to help raise money for a good cause. The volunteers turned up at a Wisbech St. Mary Orchard owned by local fruit grower Jim Nichols kindly who ga
FRIENDS of the Rosmini Centre, Wisbech and from and Our Lady and St. Charles Church turned to apple picking to help raise money for a good cause.
The volunteers turned up at a Wisbech St. Mary Orchard owned by local fruit grower Jim Nichols kindly who gave permission for the party to fruit not just for themselves but for the people of Haiti. The country, one of the poorest countries on the planet, has been struck by no less than four hurricanes in the past several weeks.
Father Bill Curran, who is helping out at the local catholic parish while Fr. John recuperates, said: " "It is most impressive to see these folks when they could be forgiven for thinking of their own worries about the financial markets, have put this aside and are busy raising money for their brothers and sisters in Haiti.
"It is tremendous to learn that a combination of the fruit pickers, a cake sale, some gifts from anonymous donors and from the parish have enabled us to send in excess of £500 to the Haiti appeal".
You may also want to watch:
Isabel Alecock from the Rosmini Centre said: "We had a lot of fun and at the same time are doing some good for those less fortunate than ourselves.
- 1 New independent funeral service opens in Wisbech
- 2 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 5 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 6 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 7 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 8 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 9 Port welcomes 10 ships in a month from Latvia to The Netherlands
- 10 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election