Wisbech grandfather Martyn signs up for another “experience of a lifetime” Italian Job Rally
- Credit: Archant
A grandfather will relive his Italian Job Rally adventure this year ... and he hopes to raise even more for charity.
Last November, Martyn Wadsley, of Wisbech, and his cousin Andy Stimpson drove from Dover to Turin and back, more than 2,500 miles, in a 1969 Land Rover 109 Diesel Hard-top, which is an exact replica of the van that appears in the classic Michael Caine film.
The convoy, made up of 60 Mini’s, a Ferrari and the pair’s Land Rover, travelled through France, Belgium, Germany, over the Alps into Austria and then on to Italy.
The pair raised more than £1,500 for children’s charity Variety, which helps sick, disabled and disadvantaged children.
This time around, Mr Wadsley has set an ambitious target of £2,500.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Last year’s rally was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. This time, I want to raise even more for charity.”
Mr Wadsley has been getting lots of mileage out of his Land Rover, which is worth more than £20,000 and has appeared at the Goodwood Revival.
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital launches Covid-19 patient helpline
- 5 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
- 6 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 7 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
This week, he took it for a spin down Wisbech bypass, accompanied by Wisbech stall holder Janet Batey.
He said: “I was at Wisbech indoor market and got talking to Janet and she said she had never been in a Land Rover before.
“So I asked her if she wanted to have a go in the best Land Rover going. She had the biggest smile on her face.”