Wisbech Grammar School pupil Madelaine, 16, spends week at Westminster shadowing MP Steve Barclay
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech Grammar School pupil met London mayor Boris Johnson and attended Prime Minister’s Questions during a week’s work experience at Westminster with her MP.
Madelaine Boothm 16, who lives in Wisbech, took the initiative to complete a week of work experience by contacting North East Cambs MP Steve Barclay – and she was surprised when he offered her the chance to spend the time working with him.
She also sat in on meetings about the Scotland Bill with Mr Barclay, as well as helping to handle correspondence and taking phone calls, and she has assisted him with his case work.
She has also written a press piece for Mr Barclay about the mental health work he has done in the local constituency, and she has helped to respond to his tweets and Facebook messages.
Miss Booth said: “It was such a valuable experience, one which I will remember throughout my life, and I would like to thank Mr Barclay for allowing me to gain such amazing knowledge about our current issues. Over the week my interest in politics has grown immensely.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Barclay said: “It was a pleasure to host Maddie for a week in my Parliamentary office. She is enthusiastic, hard-working and showed a willingness to learn more about British politics.
“The quality of her written work was excellent and well-researched, and I wish her well for her AS Levels and future career.”
- 1 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 6 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 7 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 10 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery