Teachers and pupils who transform lives. Wisbech Grammar School speech day
- Credit: Archant
Inspiration, transformation and creativity were key themes at Wisbech Grammar School speech day.
Head Chris Staley celebrated pupils’ achievements and spoke about how good teachers can leave positive lessons with their students that last for life.
Mr Staley said that his geography teacher had taught him that “you have to try, and you have to fail sometimes to get it right in the long run. The best lessons are sometimes the hardest ones.”
He also spoke of “inspiration, transformation and creativity.
“There are plenty of inspirational pupils in the school who quietly influence and motivate those around them.”
He singled out for example the study buddy scheme, Duke of Edinburgh awards, the orchestra and those working closely with other younger pupils as mentors.
“Others inspire those around them through their achievements, whether it is in the academic world, sport, art or performance,” he said.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 3 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 4 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 5 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 8 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 9 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 10 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
“Wisbech Grammar School is a place that provides the opportunity for inspiration at all levels.”
Outgoing heads of school, Tarn Chamberlain James and Oliver Mann reflected on their life in school.
They said that in a challenging world where there is trial by social media, judgement on how you look, and people building walls rather than bridges, now, more than ever, young people need to stand up for what they believe and support each other.