WISBECH: Gold plated success for Grammar School in the senior Maths Challenge
IN the recent 2008 UK Senior Mathematics Challenge 27 pupils from Wisbech Grammar School obtained certificates. Six obtained gold, 12 obtained silver certificates and nine obtained bronze. The contest is organised by the University of Leeds and is becomi
IN the recent 2008 UK Senior Mathematics Challenge 27 pupils from Wisbech Grammar School obtained certificates.
Six obtained gold, 12 obtained silver certificates and nine obtained bronze. The contest is organised by the University of Leeds and is becoming increasingly popular. This year 67,000 pupils' mainly in years 12 and 13 took the test with the top 40% nationwide obtaining certificates.
The contest consists of a set of 25 problems all requiring thought and a little lateral thinking. The aim is to apply school mathematics to a variety of situations and the resulting test is certainly challenging.
The best result was obtained by Calvin Ward of Wisbech who obtained a mark of 97 out of 125. There were also excellent performances from Aseem Sharma of year 10 and George Pagomenos of year 12. Both obtained Golds and like Calvin they qualified for the Mathematics Olympiad.
You may also want to watch:
Geoff Howes, Head of Mathematics at the school said: "The senior challenge is very difficult and it was good to see students still striving hard to solve the problems after one and a half hours - this is our best ever result in terms of gold's for the Senior Maths Challenge. It is pleasing that several students are now planning to go on to study Mathematics at University.
- 1 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 2 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 3 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 4 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 5 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 Burnouts, revving engines and upset shoppers lead to dispersal order
- 9 Mayor to walk in high heels at sponsored walk
- 10 Five generations of family members meet up for the first time