Wisbech gets its own centre piece thanks to model village exhibition at Peckover House
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech will soon have its own model village, or at least a model of the town as it was in Georgian times, when Peckover House opens for a new season on Saturday February 27.
With a scale model as its centre piece, the exhibition will explore the Wisbech of 1795 onwards.
Measuring eight by four feet, the model has taken a year to make and a lot of dedicated work, skill and imagination.
“Our team of ten volunteers, who had no previous experience of model making, have been working on this since last March,” said Diane Smith, the exhibition’s coordinator.
“We have created more than a hundred tiny houses, pubs, warehouses and shops, as well as fields and gardens.
You may also want to watch:
“It has been very absorbing and a lot of hard work and it has been fulfilling to see the model gradually taking shape throughout the year.
“Where a building still exists or where there are records showing how it would have looked, careful attention to detail has been required.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 4 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 5 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
“However, where a building has long since disappeared, leaving no record behind, imagination became the most useful tool for the modellers,” she added.
‘A Georgian Town in the Fens’ exhibition opens on February 27 and runs throughout the season on normal open days, from midday until 4.30 pm. There is no extra admission charge.
For more information, call Peckover House: 01945 583463.