Wisbech gets its own centre piece thanks to model village exhibition at Peckover House
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech will soon have its own model village, or at least a model of the town as it was in Georgian times, when Peckover House opens for a new season on Saturday February 27.
With a scale model as its centre piece, the exhibition will explore the Wisbech of 1795 onwards.
Measuring eight by four feet, the model has taken a year to make and a lot of dedicated work, skill and imagination.
“Our team of ten volunteers, who had no previous experience of model making, have been working on this since last March,” said Diane Smith, the exhibition’s coordinator.
“We have created more than a hundred tiny houses, pubs, warehouses and shops, as well as fields and gardens.
“It has been very absorbing and a lot of hard work and it has been fulfilling to see the model gradually taking shape throughout the year.
“Where a building still exists or where there are records showing how it would have looked, careful attention to detail has been required.
- 1 Man alleged to have kidnapped child sparks heavy police presence
- 2 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
- 3 Fraudster rented out homes for cannabis factories worth over £300k
- 4 Paddleboarder dies after getting into difficulty on river
- 5 Man, 37, named as A14 death crash victim
- 6 Man suspected of touching child outside supermarket
- 7 Two vehicles in ditches after crash on A141 between March and Guyhirn
- 8 Wisbech based Alan Hudson centre receives third outstanding award
- 9 Man who glassed another man in the head after a fight jailed
- 10 Cops catch out suspected drug driver who faked identity
“However, where a building has long since disappeared, leaving no record behind, imagination became the most useful tool for the modellers,” she added.
‘A Georgian Town in the Fens’ exhibition opens on February 27 and runs throughout the season on normal open days, from midday until 4.30 pm. There is no extra admission charge.
For more information, call Peckover House: 01945 583463.