Wisbech fundraisers Ben and Sarah receive top national award
- Credit: Archant
A couple from Wisbech - who have raised vital funds for the Macular Society - have been presented with one of the sight loss charity’s top national awards.
Ben and Sarah Dodkin were joint winners at this year’s Macular Society Awards for Excellence.
The pair, both 33, received the top prize in the Chairman’s Award for Fundraising category.
They have raised almost £10,000 for the charity since 2016 when their son, Finley, was diagnosed with a juvenile dystrophy.
Since then, they have been involved in a wide range of fundraising activities for the charity, with friends and family joining in at every opportunity to boost their efforts.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah arranged raffles and an auction night, while her parents completed the Peddars Way 50-mile walk.
Ben also donned his running shoes, taking part in the Great North Run, while his aunt organised a race night and an Easter Sunday bike ride.
- 1 Fenland Council loses fight to stop incinerator survey
- 2 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 3 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
- 4 Man in court after more than £656k of cannabis seized
- 5 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
- 6 Fire crews free driver trapped in overturned lorry
- 7 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 8 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 9 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 10 Major youth football tournament cancelled for second year running
Sarah said: “Even though we knew we’d been nominated, it was still a shock when we found out we’d won. Even though we’ve now got the award, it’s really still sinking in.
“Everyone at the Macular Society has been so kind and helpful, so we’re very honoured to have been selected.”
Ben said: “We’ve had lots of help with all of the fundraising activities from so many family and friends, so this is an award for them too; not just the two of us.”
Ben and Sarah received their award from Macular Society chairman John Dunston at the charity’s national annual conference, which took place at the Grange Tower Bridge Hotel in London.
Running for a tenth year in 2018, the Macular Society Awards for Excellence is run by the charity to celebrate the inspirational work done to provide services and care for people with macular disease all over the UK.
Cathy Yelf, chief executive of the Macular Society, said: “Ben and Sarah’s fundraising efforts have been nothing short of sensational and it’s only right that they should be recognised in this way.”
The Macular Society is the national charity for anyone affected by central vision loss.
It has more than 400 support groups across the UK, which help to increase the confidence and independence of people affected by macular disease.