Wisbech St Mary footballer selected for England’s under 16 team
- Credit: Archant
A footballer from Wisbech St Mary has been selected for the England under 16 team.
Lewis Shipley, who is a student at Wisbech Grammar School, will join the team when they play against Croatia in Zagreb in July.
The team will meet for three days of training at Bisham Abbey, National Sports Centre before flying out to Zagreb.
“This is a tremendous achievement for Lewis who will be playing with boys two years older than him,” said a spokesman for the school
“It is a reward for all of the hard work that he is put in over the last few years.”
You may also want to watch:
Lewis is also a member of the Norwich City Academy and plays regularly for their under 15 team.
“We are incredibly proud of Lewis who has worked hard to balance his academic work alongside playing for Norwich City.
- 1 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 2 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 3 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Loft gives up its secret: £60,000 of cannabis plants
- 6 Police finally pull car from Fens river
- 7 Co-op grocery delivery robots are coming to Cambridgeshire
- 8 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 9 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 10 Students highlight road safety in new films
“He has also managed to fit in playing rugby, hockey and cricket for school, as well as competing for the county athletics team.”