Money raised for urgently-needed items for Wisbech Foodbank
- Credit: Archant
The Fenland branch of Unite Community Union raised £100 to buy food for Wisbech Foodbank.
The urgently-needed items for families and single people in crisis was handed over to local co-ordinator Margaret Gibbs on Friday (November 2) by union branch chair Amy Broad.
Margaret said: “Generous donations from school harvest festivals and from groups like Unite have helped us build up a stockpile of food. But with the roll-out of the Universal Credit benefit in the area, demand has never been so high.
“And with winter coming and Christmas ahead, families are really going to feel the pressure.
“We’ll be working flat-out to help them through hard times.
You may also want to watch:
“Our warehouse stock will go and we will rely on the continuing support of local people to build it up again.”
The Foodbank always needs donations of food and is also keen to hear from volunteers who can join the team collecting, sorting and distributing parcels.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Burger entrepreneur excited to reopen as lockdown eases on May 17
- 3 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 4 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 5 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
- 6 ‘This is not a puppy farm’ says breeder in response to planning objections
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 9 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 10 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
If you can help, or if you need help contact Margaret at 07933 572054 or email@example.com.
Unite Community Union campaigns on important issues for a fairer deal for people, holds regular local meetings and welcomes new members.
Anyone can join the team, for more information contact Steve at firstname.lastname@example.org