WISBECH: Fire service warn about smoking in the home after two people tackle blaze
TWO people required medical treatment for smoke inhalation after battling a fire in a Wisbech home, started by a carelessly discarded smoking material. Firefighters were called to a house in Grosvenor Road at 5.15pm yesterday and, on arrival, found the fi
TWO people required medical treatment for smoke inhalation after battling a fire in a Wisbech home, started by a carelessly discarded smoking material.
Firefighters were called to a house in Grosvenor Road at 5.15pm yesterday and, on arrival, found the fire had been extinguished.
Two occupants had extinguished the fire themselves and, subsequently, required treatment.
Firefighters checked the fire had been completely extinguished, before returning to base.
You may also want to watch:
The fire service issued warnings about smoking in the home, following the blaze.
A spokeswoman said: "Cigarettes can burn with extreme heat, up to 920C when being inhaled. The unstable hot ash can fall in a blink of an eye and go unnoticed until something around you starts to burn.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 3 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 4 Fit of the Fens challenge to raise cash for the homeless
- 5 'Chopper was a hard worker and put himself about' - tribute to ex-Fenmen star
- 6 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 7 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 8 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 9 Clean, green and affordable: choose market leader Nissan to start your electric motoring journey
- 10 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
"However, this can be too late to avoid damage to your home, serious injury to yourself or even death.
"Be aware of the dangers there are while smoking - don't smoke when you're tired, use a sturdy ash tray and make sure cigarettes and cigars are stubbed out correctly before you leave the room.
"If a fire does occur do not attempt to tackle the fire yourself, this can lead to injury. Instead, close the door on the fire, get everyone out the house and dial 999.