Wisbech fire crew go out to sea for ship fire education
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters from Wisbech took part in a visit to a Russian cargo ship earlier this week.
The trip was held in order for fire crews to improve their knowledge of fires on ships.
The ship transports timber from St Petersburg and collects scrap metal from Wisbech to deliver to Spain.
Ship management allowed fire crews to explore different areas including the engine room, bridgehead, motor room and numerous holds.
Firefighter Jasper Vidot, based at Wisbech, said: “The visit was invaluable in seeing first-hand the numerous fixed installations and fire suppression systems they have at their disposal as well as the location of maps and plans of the ship and their procedures in the event of a fire.
You may also want to watch:
“Both with regards to firefighting and our considerations for use of water and the ship’s stability”, he added.
- 1 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 2 Councillor wants flats plan binned
- 3 Body of missing Wisbech man found in Norfolk
- 4 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 5 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 6 60 care home residents and staff vaccinated
- 7 Man, 21, with 15,000 indecent images and videos plus 'paedophile manual' spared jail
- 8 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 9 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 10 Spat at police officer tests positive for Covid-19