Wisbech fire crew go out to sea for ship fire education
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters from Wisbech took part in a visit to a Russian cargo ship earlier this week.
The trip was held in order for fire crews to improve their knowledge of fires on ships.
The ship transports timber from St Petersburg and collects scrap metal from Wisbech to deliver to Spain.
Ship management allowed fire crews to explore different areas including the engine room, bridgehead, motor room and numerous holds.
Firefighter Jasper Vidot, based at Wisbech, said: “The visit was invaluable in seeing first-hand the numerous fixed installations and fire suppression systems they have at their disposal as well as the location of maps and plans of the ship and their procedures in the event of a fire.
You may also want to watch:
“Both with regards to firefighting and our considerations for use of water and the ship’s stability”, he added.
- 1 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 2 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 3 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Loft gives up its secret: £60,000 of cannabis plants
- 6 Police finally pull car from Fens river
- 7 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 8 Co-op grocery delivery robots are coming to Cambridgeshire
- 9 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 10 Students highlight road safety in new films