WISBECH: Father speaks after family's narrow escape from fire
A WISBECH father spoke today of his family s narrow escape after a fire devastated part of his home. A large electrical fire broke out in a room next to where the man s 12-year-old son had been playing on his Playstation. The man was sitting in the loung
A WISBECH father spoke today of his family's narrow escape after a fire devastated part of his home.
A large electrical fire broke out in a room next to where the man's 12-year-old son had been playing on his Playstation.
The man was sitting in the lounge with his partner watching television at their home in Southwell Road when he heard his smoke alarm activate at about 10.10pm on December 16.
He rushed upstairs to alert his son and all family members were able to escape the house safely and without injury before the fire took hold.
You may also want to watch:
The man, who asked not to be named, said: "Something like this is devastating, but it could have been a lot worse.
"Only a few months previous we had booked in for a Home Fire Safety Check with the fire service and it was the smoke alarms that they fitted which gave us the early warning we need to all get out safety.
- 1 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Man assaults police officer whilst in possession of drugs on E-Bike
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 Watches and electric display box stolen in village burglary
"I would recommend anyone without smoke alarms to contact the fire service straight away."
Firefighters rushed inside the home wearing breathing apparatus and managed to extinguish the fire using one hose reel, however extensive damage was caused to the room and the whole house was smoke logged.
Howard Newton, community safety officer for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "A smoke alarm is not a novelty item, or something to consider getting in the future, it is a necessity that you need to have in your home to keep you and your family safe.
"We offer a service called a Home Fire Safety Check which is totally free of charge and will make sure that you are safe from fire. It involves a member of the fire service coming to your home and fitting free smoke alarms where needed."
To book in for a Free Home Fire Safety Check, contact 01480 444666 and quote code PSO, or log onto www.cambsfire.gov.uk