Wisbech churches plea for Haiti earthquake disaster emergency aid
CHURCHES across Wisbech are urging people to make emergency aid donations at services next week following the Haiti earthquake disaster. Tens of thousands of people died in the earthquake, which rocked the Caribbean country on Tuesday. Major Robert Smart,
CHURCHES across Wisbech are urging people to make emergency aid donations at services next week following the Haiti earthquake disaster.
Tens of thousands of people died in the earthquake, which rocked the Caribbean country on Tuesday.
Major Robert Smart, chairman of Wisbech Churches Together, said in a statement: "Our hearts go out to these poor brothers and sisters of ours who in the latest terrible tragedy to beset their country have had misery heaped upon misery.
"On behalf of the Wisbech Churches Together I want to appeal to the good people of our town to respond generously to the latest appeal.
You may also want to watch:
"In order to ensure that aid gets to where it is needed we are inviting people to make a donation at the various Unity Services (listed below).
"We undertake to get all this money to the relevant aid agencies as quickly as possible.
- 1 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 2 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 6 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 7 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 10 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
"Wisbech has a proud record of supporting the poor of the world and I am sure that we will not be found lacking at this critical time."
Donations can be made at the following Christian Unity Services:
• Our Lady and St Charles Church on Tuesday at 6.15pm
• Wisbech Baptist Church on Wednesday at 7.45pm
• St Peter's Church on Thursday at 10am
• United Reformed Church on Thursday at 11.30am
• Trinity Methodist Church on Thursday at noon.