Wisbech Christmas Lights switch-on takes place on December 4
THE Festive countdown will start in Wisbech on Friday December 4 – when the town s Christmas Lights are switched on. Around �12,000 has been spent this year on the Christmas Lights by Wisbech Town Council to make it a night to remember. There is one big c
THE Festive countdown will start in Wisbech on Friday December 4 - when the town's Christmas Lights are switched on.
Around �12,000 has been spent this year on the Christmas Lights by Wisbech Town Council to make it a night to remember.
There is one big change to this year's decorations too - the Christmas tree, usually to one side of the market square, will be in the middle of the square in the central plinth.
The town council and Fenland District Council have each spent �3,000 removing the lamp post from the plinth and installing a concrete tube in which the tree will be placed.
You may also want to watch:
Town council clerk Erbie Murat said: "We have been trying to do this for years and we feel it is a significant achievement."
The market square will be closed to traffic from 8am to allow traders and the fairground time to set up.
- 1 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 2 Pair questioned amid probe into catalytic converter thefts
- 3 Solicitor firm embraces legal sector apprenticeship scheme
- 4 Showcase status for Academy
- 5 Majority of councillors refuse to object to Wisbech incinerator - for now
- 6 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 7 Hare coursers handed Criminal Behaviour Orders
- 8 Drug dealer who led class A drugs line caught in police sting
- 9 'Emotional' quartet complete 10k for villager Paul
- 10 Baby abuse among paedophile’s 290,000 indecent images of children
Fairground rides are expected to open at about 2pm, with choir singers also expected to spread Christmas cheer.
But the main event takes place at 6pm when the Mayor of Wisbech, Councillor Yvonne Lawrence, pushes the button and turns the town into a sea of colour.
The switch-on will be preceded by a parade from the town council chambers led by Vivien the vintage fire engine, followed by town councillors and members of Wisbech Lions dressed in festive attire.
Santa will also make an appearance armed with children's goodie bags. Donations for the 'Treats for Christmas' have come from Wisbech Rotary (�50), Tesco (�50), ASDA (�40) and Aldi (chocolate coins).
After the lights are switched on there will be live music from Lexie Green and her band, which wowed crowds at the Multi Cultural Festival in August. There are also planned shows from the Angles Theatre's youth group RATz and from Wisbech Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society.