Festive fun as crowds celebrate Christmas lights switch on in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
Festive cheer and carols echoed out as hundreds descended on Wisbech for the ever-popular Christmas lights switch-on event.
Crowds gathered to enjoy seasonal treats, fun from Santa and headline music acts Skarma and Throne of Grace from 3pm.
Mayor of Wisbech Cllr Peter Human lit up the town at 5pm yesterday (November 25) after a festive countdown.
Food, drink and a grand prize draw, with a prize of £150 was held courtesy of Cllr Steve Tierney.
Cllr Sam Hoy said: “I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone that came to the Christmas lights switch on. But I would mostly like to thank everyone that helped with the event.
“Firstly the town council staff who came on their day off, Dave Oliver Jessica Oliver and Barbara Oliver who were there at the crack of dawn organising the road closures and more.”
A resident added: “It was lovely to see so many happy faces. Most of us actually realise and appreciate the work done by the volunteers, whether they are councillors or not. This is our town, decorated our way.”
- 1 ‘Thank you, my NHS, you were simply amazing’
- 2 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 3 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 4 Wisbech family discover 'ultimate side hustle'
- 5 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 6 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 7 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 8 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 9 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 10 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
The Christmas spirit will continue in Wisbech on December 9 with a Christmas Fayre. There will also be a fancy dress competition.
The lights switch on was sponsored by Wild Things Parties.