Festive fun as crowds celebrate Christmas lights switch on in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
Festive cheer and carols echoed out as hundreds descended on Wisbech for the ever-popular Christmas lights switch-on event.
Crowds gathered to enjoy seasonal treats, fun from Santa and headline music acts Skarma and Throne of Grace from 3pm.
Mayor of Wisbech Cllr Peter Human lit up the town at 5pm yesterday (November 25) after a festive countdown.
Food, drink and a grand prize draw, with a prize of £150 was held courtesy of Cllr Steve Tierney.
Cllr Sam Hoy said: “I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone that came to the Christmas lights switch on. But I would mostly like to thank everyone that helped with the event.
You may also want to watch:
“Firstly the town council staff who came on their day off, Dave Oliver Jessica Oliver and Barbara Oliver who were there at the crack of dawn organising the road closures and more.”
A resident added: “It was lovely to see so many happy faces. Most of us actually realise and appreciate the work done by the volunteers, whether they are councillors or not. This is our town, decorated our way.”
- 1 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 2 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 3 Body found in Wisbech road
- 4 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 5 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 6 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 7 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 8 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 9 Latest phase of Wisbech to Upwell Tram Memorial unveiled
- 10 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
The Christmas spirit will continue in Wisbech on December 9 with a Christmas Fayre. There will also be a fancy dress competition.
The lights switch on was sponsored by Wild Things Parties.