Festive fun as crowds celebrate Christmas lights switch on in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
Festive cheer and carols echoed out as hundreds descended on Wisbech for the ever-popular Christmas lights switch-on event.
Crowds gathered to enjoy seasonal treats, fun from Santa and headline music acts Skarma and Throne of Grace from 3pm.
Mayor of Wisbech Cllr Peter Human lit up the town at 5pm yesterday (November 25) after a festive countdown.
Food, drink and a grand prize draw, with a prize of £150 was held courtesy of Cllr Steve Tierney.
Cllr Sam Hoy said: “I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone that came to the Christmas lights switch on. But I would mostly like to thank everyone that helped with the event.
You may also want to watch:
“Firstly the town council staff who came on their day off, Dave Oliver Jessica Oliver and Barbara Oliver who were there at the crack of dawn organising the road closures and more.”
A resident added: “It was lovely to see so many happy faces. Most of us actually realise and appreciate the work done by the volunteers, whether they are councillors or not. This is our town, decorated our way.”
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital launches Covid-19 patient helpline
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
- 7 Council chairman urges people to have Covid-19 vaccine when offered
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 10 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
The Christmas spirit will continue in Wisbech on December 9 with a Christmas Fayre. There will also be a fancy dress competition.
The lights switch on was sponsored by Wild Things Parties.