Festive fun as crowds celebrate Christmas lights switch on in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
Festive cheer and carols echoed out as hundreds descended on Wisbech for the ever-popular Christmas lights switch-on event.
Crowds gathered to enjoy seasonal treats, fun from Santa and headline music acts Skarma and Throne of Grace from 3pm.
Mayor of Wisbech Cllr Peter Human lit up the town at 5pm yesterday (November 25) after a festive countdown.
Food, drink and a grand prize draw, with a prize of £150 was held courtesy of Cllr Steve Tierney.
Cllr Sam Hoy said: “I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone that came to the Christmas lights switch on. But I would mostly like to thank everyone that helped with the event.
You may also want to watch:
“Firstly the town council staff who came on their day off, Dave Oliver Jessica Oliver and Barbara Oliver who were there at the crack of dawn organising the road closures and more.”
A resident added: “It was lovely to see so many happy faces. Most of us actually realise and appreciate the work done by the volunteers, whether they are councillors or not. This is our town, decorated our way.”
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Burger entrepreneur excited to reopen as lockdown eases on May 17
- 3 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 4 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 5 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
- 6 ‘This is not a puppy farm’ says breeder in response to planning objections
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 8 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 9 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 10 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
The Christmas spirit will continue in Wisbech on December 9 with a Christmas Fayre. There will also be a fancy dress competition.
The lights switch on was sponsored by Wild Things Parties.