Wisbech Castle could become an asset of community value after receiving nomination from community group
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Castle could become an asset of community value.
Community group Wisbech Project CIC has nominated the historic castle following Cambridgeshire County Council’s decision to put it up for sale in August after saying it has “no operational use for it.”
The group has called for the castle to be protected as it is “an important part of Wisbech history and indeed English history,” and that keeping it open could “increase its heritage aspect in partnership with Wisbech Museum.”
Wisbech Project CIC also says that plans are already in place for the castle to become “a central place for cultural activities” which could “help local assets, especially in the immediate vicinity” and improve “the prospects and well-being of the community.”
The news follows a meeting between Wisbech Town councillors in which they decided to give their own bid the green light.
You may also want to watch:
Terry Jordan, town council clerk, said: “Wisbech Castle is an important part of the historic fabric and community of Wisbech and should remain so.
“The council feels that because it has expressed an interest in the castle, it would be wrong to express a view on the nomination to be placed on the asset list.
- 1 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 2 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 3 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 4 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 5 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 6 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks
- 7 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 8 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 9 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 10 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
“We understand that Cambridgeshire County Council has a number of expressions of interest and we hope that our bid is seen as the preferred bid.”