Wisbech cadets receive awards for first aid, radio use, basic training and for some the surprise of a promotion
- Credit: Archant
Young army cadets stood to attention as they were presented with awards by Richard Barnwell the Deputy Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire and a past Mayor of Wisbech.
The cadets received a number of awards including first aid heart start certificates, signals radio user badges, basic army training certificates and a surprise for some in being promoted from the rank of cadet to cadet lance corporal.
Richard Barnwell is a keen supporter of youth in Wisbech and is particularly interested in the work of the cadets after joining them on a battle field trip in the year 2000 to Ypres, Belgium when he was the town mayor.
The cadet link is also special in that Octavia Hill, one of the Founders of the National Trust and founder of the Army Cadet movement in 1860, was born in Wisbech.
Mr Barnwell saw activities being taught to the cadets and had a chance to talk to them and their instructors about their work.
You may also want to watch:
He learnt of plans for their 11-day annual camp at Folkestone and a two-day battle field tour to Belgium in August.
Mr Barnwell said: “It’s a credit to these young people to join the Army Cadet force and take an active part in its challenging and character building training programme.
- 1 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 2 Man escapes ‘shocking case’ of modern slavery at hand car wash
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Share your views on our newspaper via reader survey
- 5 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 6 Woman ‘drink driver’ arrested for having no licence or insurance
- 7 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 8 WATCH: Air ambulances can't land after hospital helipad wrecked by US aircraft
- 9 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 10 Man who died in road crash is named
“Learning to be a good citizen in the community is something we should encourage and support.”
Capt Trevor Longmuir said: “Anyone aged 12 to 18 years can join the cadets who meet on a Tuesday evening at the Cadet HQ, Sandylands Street, Wisbech from 7.30 to 9.30pm.”