Wisbech cadets receive awards for first aid, radio use, basic training and for some the surprise of a promotion
- Credit: Archant
Young army cadets stood to attention as they were presented with awards by Richard Barnwell the Deputy Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire and a past Mayor of Wisbech.
The cadets received a number of awards including first aid heart start certificates, signals radio user badges, basic army training certificates and a surprise for some in being promoted from the rank of cadet to cadet lance corporal.
Richard Barnwell is a keen supporter of youth in Wisbech and is particularly interested in the work of the cadets after joining them on a battle field trip in the year 2000 to Ypres, Belgium when he was the town mayor.
The cadet link is also special in that Octavia Hill, one of the Founders of the National Trust and founder of the Army Cadet movement in 1860, was born in Wisbech.
Mr Barnwell saw activities being taught to the cadets and had a chance to talk to them and their instructors about their work.
He learnt of plans for their 11-day annual camp at Folkestone and a two-day battle field tour to Belgium in August.
Mr Barnwell said: “It’s a credit to these young people to join the Army Cadet force and take an active part in its challenging and character building training programme.
- 1 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 2 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 3 Andre Rieu brings new summer concert to Cambridgeshire cinemas
- 4 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 5 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
- 6 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 7 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 8 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 9 Farmer ‘feeling low’ due to increasingly difficult working conditions
- 10 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
“Learning to be a good citizen in the community is something we should encourage and support.”
Capt Trevor Longmuir said: “Anyone aged 12 to 18 years can join the cadets who meet on a Tuesday evening at the Cadet HQ, Sandylands Street, Wisbech from 7.30 to 9.30pm.”