Wisbech burglar who "lacks brains" according to his solicitor is jailed for 28 days
SELF-confessed burglar Benjamin Hales – who lacks brains according to his solicitor – has been jailed for 28 days. Hales was caught by police on the beat in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, with a bag of tools including a crow bar, file and a pair of pliers. He
SELF-confessed burglar Benjamin Hales - who "lacks brains" according to his solicitor - has been jailed for 28 days.
Hales was caught by police on the beat in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, with a bag of tools including a crow bar, file and a pair of pliers.
He told officers: "I am not a dwelling burglar, I am a commercial burglar."
Hales, 22, of St Peter's Road, Wisbech, was jailed by Fenland magistrates on Wednesday.
He admitted going equipped for theft in Wisbech on February 24, and damaging the electronic tag attached to his leg to administer his curfew order.
Solicitor John Clarke told the court: "He lacks brains, he is on a tag that is easily checked.
- 1 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 2 Elderly man scares off would-be burglar
- 3 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 4 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 5 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 6 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 7 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 8 Carnival lights up village as sports day marks 100 years
- 9 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 10 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
"When he pulled his tag as he put on his socks, it sprang open. He could have rung the security company that deals with his curfew, but having no brains whatsoever, he jumped on it and broke it."
Police who found Hales with the bag of tools were patrolling in Queens Road because of a high burglary rate in the area, said prosecutor Emma Duckett.
"He was carrying a silver bag that contained a crow bar, Stanley knife, torch, file and a pair of pliers," she said.
Sending Hales to prison, presiding magistrate Peter Waterfield said: "You have admitted you are a burglar. We order the forfeiture and destruction of the tools.