Wisbech brewer Elgood’s wins contract to supply 60 Co-op stores with up to 20,000 pints of Black Dog, Cambridge bitter, Golden Newt and IPA
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech brewery is celebrating after pulling in a contract with the Co-op to supply it with approaching 20,000 pints of its ale.
The family-run Elgood Brewery – whose history traces back to Christmas Eve in 1795 and is now run by three sisters, Belinda, Jenny and Claire – will supply around 60 of the Co-op’s stores with four of its ales: Black Dog; Cambridge Bitter; Golden Newt and Cambridge IPA.
The move comes as the Co-op commits to doubling the number of its small and micro suppliers and launches a small producer charter to support and, provide opportunities to champion local suppliers.
Marcus Beecher, head of sales at Elgoods, said: “We are over the moon, delighted to be working with the Co-op. Its heritage, values and local, community-based approach is a great fit with our business.
“We are frequently asked where our ales can be bought and so this contract win will further support our business development, build awareness of our brand and open up new markets for our business in communities across the region.”
Simon Dryell, ranging manager for the Co-op, said: “It’s exciting to collaborate with breweries such as Elgoods. The quality, passion and innovation of smaller producers make these prized local products and we are delighted to give them pride of place in our stores.
“We know that the provenance of food and drink really matters to our customers, we are committed to investing in the UK economy and providing new opportunities to showcase and celebrate great British food and drink producers.”
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 3 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 4 Inside Wisbech's new 'Get Out' escape room
- 5 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 6 Knife-wielding teen jailed after week-long crime spree in Wisbech
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
•New tenants are currently being sought by Elgoods for three of their pubs. Tenants are needed for The Chequers Inn, Tholomas Drove, the George Inn at Doddington and the Hare & Hounds at Wisbech.