CMB Bowls Club in Wisbech celebrate their 40th anniversary with special game
- Credit: Archant
Members of the CMB Bowls Club in Wisbech celebrated 40 years since the club formed in 1978 with a special game on Sunday (June 3).
Five of the founder members, Pete Haddon, Terry Semper, Terry Slade, Cyril Betts and John Fox were special guests.
They were presented with a memento from Mel Joyce club chairman and Joe Rainsbury, plant manager of Crown Food Europe in Wisbech.
Paul Bennett, club secretary, said: “Twenty four bowlers played representative teams from North Cambs EBF, North Cambs EWBF, March and District League, Downham Ex. Services, Gorefield and Banks League with the result being CMB 93 and Guests 100 shots.
“All players and guests were presented with a commemorative badge and following the game a spider was held with the bottle of single malt whisky being won by June Warren Gorefield.”
Paul added: “Everyone then had a splendid hog roast provided by Ben Roughton The Hog Roast Catering Co, Wisbech.”
The club was originally formed as part of the Metalbox Sports and Social Club and started at the Lady Green in Chapel Road called Metalbox Bowls Club (BC) until the green in Railway Road was completed in 1982.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man arrested in Wisbech after illegally entering UK three times
- 3 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 4 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 5 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 6 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 My boss, the Prime Minister, is not a liar, says MP Steve Barclay
- 10 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
With the merger between Metalbox and Carnaud in 1986 and the change of company name the club changed to CMB BC.
Paul added: “Despite this change 34 years ago we are still called Metalbox by many bowlers locally.”
The club are looking for bowlers of all abilities to join, if you are interested contact Paul Bennett on: 01945 480857