CMB Bowls Club in Wisbech celebrate their 40th anniversary with special game
- Credit: Archant
Members of the CMB Bowls Club in Wisbech celebrated 40 years since the club formed in 1978 with a special game on Sunday (June 3).
Five of the founder members, Pete Haddon, Terry Semper, Terry Slade, Cyril Betts and John Fox were special guests.
They were presented with a memento from Mel Joyce club chairman and Joe Rainsbury, plant manager of Crown Food Europe in Wisbech.
Paul Bennett, club secretary, said: “Twenty four bowlers played representative teams from North Cambs EBF, North Cambs EWBF, March and District League, Downham Ex. Services, Gorefield and Banks League with the result being CMB 93 and Guests 100 shots.
“All players and guests were presented with a commemorative badge and following the game a spider was held with the bottle of single malt whisky being won by June Warren Gorefield.”
You may also want to watch:
Paul added: “Everyone then had a splendid hog roast provided by Ben Roughton The Hog Roast Catering Co, Wisbech.”
The club was originally formed as part of the Metalbox Sports and Social Club and started at the Lady Green in Chapel Road called Metalbox Bowls Club (BC) until the green in Railway Road was completed in 1982.
- 1 Three stores evacuated after suspect 'bomb scare'
- 2 Body found in Wisbech road
- 3 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 4 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 5 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 6 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 7 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 8 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
With the merger between Metalbox and Carnaud in 1986 and the change of company name the club changed to CMB BC.
Paul added: “Despite this change 34 years ago we are still called Metalbox by many bowlers locally.”
The club are looking for bowlers of all abilities to join, if you are interested contact Paul Bennett on: 01945 480857