CMB Bowls Club in Wisbech celebrate their 40th anniversary with special game
- Credit: Archant
Members of the CMB Bowls Club in Wisbech celebrated 40 years since the club formed in 1978 with a special game on Sunday (June 3).
Five of the founder members, Pete Haddon, Terry Semper, Terry Slade, Cyril Betts and John Fox were special guests.
They were presented with a memento from Mel Joyce club chairman and Joe Rainsbury, plant manager of Crown Food Europe in Wisbech.
Paul Bennett, club secretary, said: “Twenty four bowlers played representative teams from North Cambs EBF, North Cambs EWBF, March and District League, Downham Ex. Services, Gorefield and Banks League with the result being CMB 93 and Guests 100 shots.
“All players and guests were presented with a commemorative badge and following the game a spider was held with the bottle of single malt whisky being won by June Warren Gorefield.”
You may also want to watch:
Paul added: “Everyone then had a splendid hog roast provided by Ben Roughton The Hog Roast Catering Co, Wisbech.”
The club was originally formed as part of the Metalbox Sports and Social Club and started at the Lady Green in Chapel Road called Metalbox Bowls Club (BC) until the green in Railway Road was completed in 1982.
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital launches Covid-19 patient helpline
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
- 7 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 8 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 9 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 10 Council chairman urges people to have Covid-19 vaccine when offered
With the merger between Metalbox and Carnaud in 1986 and the change of company name the club changed to CMB BC.
Paul added: “Despite this change 34 years ago we are still called Metalbox by many bowlers locally.”
The club are looking for bowlers of all abilities to join, if you are interested contact Paul Bennett on: 01945 480857