WISBECH: Ashley gets set to jump off the drill tower at fire station for charity
ASHLEY Tomlinson is a teenager who loves a challenge so he just had to sign up for the one he read about in The Standard to take a jump from the drill tower at Wisbech Fire Station. The 14-year-old will be taking the 65 feet plunge on July 20 to raise mon
ASHLEY Tomlinson is a teenager who loves a challenge so he just had to sign up for the one he read about in The Standard to take a jump from the drill tower at Wisbech Fire Station.
The 14-year-old will be taking the 65 feet plunge on July 20 to raise money in memory of two special people, an auntie and a teaching assistant who both died from cancer.
Ashley of Heron Road, Wisbech, has already been promised sponsorship of more than £160 for Marie Curie Cancer Care. The youngster, who is a pupil at Peele Community College, Long Sutton, has been supported by many of the staff.
His mum Amanda said: "His auntie Vicki died two years ago, she was just 27 and was born with a brain tumour. She overcame lots of difficulties but she had not been very well and was told she only had days to live - she managed to live for six weeks.
You may also want to watch:
"They were like brother and sister and she lived across the road from us so they were very close. One of his teaching assistants Christine Barnes also died from cancer and when he saw about the jump on the front of the paper he said straight away theta he was going to do it."
Mrs Tomlinson said the family are proud of Ashley. She said: "He hassled me until I got him an application, if you give him a challenge and something to achieve then he is happy."
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 4 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 5 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
If you would like to sponsor Ashley or have the nerve to take part in the sponsored abseil, contact Rebecca Randall, Cambridgeshire fundraiser on 01223 416405 or email Rebecca.email@example.com for further details ands an application form.
You must be 14 years or over to take part in the jump. No experience is needed as full training will be given by the Royal Artillery Mobile Display Team.