Wisbech Rugby Club’s Olly Mackett hosts Wildcats’ annual awards ceremony in front of 100-plus audience
- Credit: Supplied
A rugby club from the Fens celebrated its senior and junior players’ success at their annual awards evening last week.
The Wisbech Rugby Club's ceremony took place in front of more than 100 guests made up of club officials, parents, players and visitors.
Club captain Olly Mackett was the evening's host, alongside 1st XV captain Solomon Prestidge who handed out awards to the winners.
Mr Mackett said: "Many of these junior players will, in the very near future, be playing alongside the senior players.
"It was a fantastic opportunity for the juniors and seniors to come together to celebrate the season, receiving their awards in front of their peers."
You may also want to watch:
Leonard Veenendaal, director of rugby, said: "Our transition strategy has seen a number of our under 17s successfully transition to adult rugby.
"The current under 16s will join this season's under 17s to form an under 18 colts side for 2019/20 who will train with the senior players.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 4 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 5 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
"Their future is looking bright and there is a buzz of excitement and enthusiasm building throughout the squad ahead of the 2019/20 season."
- Long Playing Service Award: Veteran Mark Goude who came out of retirement earing a recall to the 1st XV.
- Most promising Young Players-of-the-Year: 18-year old Luke Green.
- First XV Player-of-the-Year: Solomon Prestidge
- First XV Players' Player: Pat Grote
- First XV Most Improved Player: Shared between 17-year olds Zac Lakey & Ben Goude
- Wildcats Player-of-the-Year: Zac Lakey (17)
- Wildcats Players' Player: Veteran Iwan Jones
- Wildcats Most Improved James Cox (17)
- U16 Player-of-the-Year: George Howat
- U16 Players' Player: Jack Robb
- U16 Most Improved Player: Jack Obey
- U15 Player-of-the-Year: Sam Dickerson
- U15 Players' Player: Billy Robinson
- U15 Most Improved Player: Jake Cavill
The Chairman's Cup was shared by Rachael Bateman and Nico Steenkamp. Rachael was recognised for work over the last three seasons as safeguarding officer.
She is also responsible for organising various club social events including the ball and much more.
Head coach, Nico, was recognised for doing "so much more than just his coaching roll" and in particular, his work with the younger players.
Clubman of The Year was shared by Ian Luck and Leonard Veenendaal who also picked up a RFU Mitsubishi Volunteer Recognition Award.