WIN!: Author writes novel set in the Fens - and we've got two copies to give away
A NOVEL based around the time the Fens were drained more than 300 years ago is set to hit the bookshelves – and we have two copies to give away. Companion To Owls has been written by Suffolk author Tessa West and follows the tale of a Huguenot fam
A NOVEL based around the time the Fens were drained more than 300 years ago is set to hit the bookshelves - and we have two copies to give away.
Companion To Owls has been written by Suffolk author Tessa West and follows the tale of a Huguenot family which moves to the Fens to help drain thousands of acres of land in the 17th century.
Mrs West, from Sudbury, said: "I found the Fens an ideal place to write about - it is the third book I have written and they are all about waterscapes in East Anglia."
The novel centres on a family, the Deschamps, whose steady life is interrupted by the arrival of Scottish prisoners of war to help drain the Fens.
You may also want to watch:
Their arrival leads to a love made complicated by a death, sabotage, jealousy and a young girl's risky relationship.
Mrs West said: "Writing the book has meant plenty of exploring in the Fens - it took me about a year and I've loved doing it."
- 1 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Man assaults police officer whilst in possession of drugs on E-Bike
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 Watches and electric display box stolen in village burglary
Companion To Owls, published by Fox Books, costs £7.99 and can be ordered through bookshops. It is also available from Amazon.
For your chance to win a copy of the book, answer this question:
What is the name of Tessa West's new book?
Send your answer, complete with name, address and daytime contact number to Companion To Owls Competition, Cambs Times/Wisbech Standard, 51 High Street, March, PE15 9JJ, to arrive no later than noon on Friday, October 31.