WIN!: Author writes novel set in the Fens - and we've got two copies to give away
A NOVEL based around the time the Fens were drained more than 300 years ago is set to hit the bookshelves – and we have two copies to give away. Companion To Owls has been written by Suffolk author Tessa West and follows the tale of a Huguenot fam
A NOVEL based around the time the Fens were drained more than 300 years ago is set to hit the bookshelves - and we have two copies to give away.
Companion To Owls has been written by Suffolk author Tessa West and follows the tale of a Huguenot family which moves to the Fens to help drain thousands of acres of land in the 17th century.
Mrs West, from Sudbury, said: "I found the Fens an ideal place to write about - it is the third book I have written and they are all about waterscapes in East Anglia."
The novel centres on a family, the Deschamps, whose steady life is interrupted by the arrival of Scottish prisoners of war to help drain the Fens.
Their arrival leads to a love made complicated by a death, sabotage, jealousy and a young girl's risky relationship.
Mrs West said: "Writing the book has meant plenty of exploring in the Fens - it took me about a year and I've loved doing it."
- 1 Man alleged to have kidnapped child sparks heavy police presence
- 2 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
- 3 Fraudster rented out homes for cannabis factories worth over £300k
- 4 Paddleboarder dies after getting into difficulty on river
- 5 Man, 37, named as A14 death crash victim
- 6 Two vehicles in ditches after crash on A141 between March and Guyhirn
- 7 Man suspected of touching child outside supermarket
- 8 Wisbech based Alan Hudson centre receives third outstanding award
- 9 Man who glassed another man in the head after a fight jailed
- 10 Cops catch out suspected drug driver who faked identity
Companion To Owls, published by Fox Books, costs £7.99 and can be ordered through bookshops. It is also available from Amazon.
For your chance to win a copy of the book, answer this question:
What is the name of Tessa West's new book?
Send your answer, complete with name, address and daytime contact number to Companion To Owls Competition, Cambs Times/Wisbech Standard, 51 High Street, March, PE15 9JJ, to arrive no later than noon on Friday, October 31.