WIN!: Author writes novel set in the Fens - and we've got two copies to give away
A NOVEL based around the time the Fens were drained more than 300 years ago is set to hit the bookshelves – and we have two copies to give away. Companion To Owls has been written by Suffolk author Tessa West and follows the tale of a Huguenot fam
A NOVEL based around the time the Fens were drained more than 300 years ago is set to hit the bookshelves - and we have two copies to give away.
Companion To Owls has been written by Suffolk author Tessa West and follows the tale of a Huguenot family which moves to the Fens to help drain thousands of acres of land in the 17th century.
Mrs West, from Sudbury, said: "I found the Fens an ideal place to write about - it is the third book I have written and they are all about waterscapes in East Anglia."
The novel centres on a family, the Deschamps, whose steady life is interrupted by the arrival of Scottish prisoners of war to help drain the Fens.
You may also want to watch:
Their arrival leads to a love made complicated by a death, sabotage, jealousy and a young girl's risky relationship.
Mrs West said: "Writing the book has meant plenty of exploring in the Fens - it took me about a year and I've loved doing it."
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 4 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 5 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 6 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 7 Bungling burglar confronted wearing stolen clothes
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 10 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
Companion To Owls, published by Fox Books, costs £7.99 and can be ordered through bookshops. It is also available from Amazon.
For your chance to win a copy of the book, answer this question:
What is the name of Tessa West's new book?
Send your answer, complete with name, address and daytime contact number to Companion To Owls Competition, Cambs Times/Wisbech Standard, 51 High Street, March, PE15 9JJ, to arrive no later than noon on Friday, October 31.