WIMBOTSHAM: 83-year-old man uses pedal power to raise money for East Anglian Air Ambulance
AN 83-year-old man took to pedal power when he helped his local raise money for the Pounds for Pints Appeal, run by the East Anglian Air Ambulance. Tom Blanchflower, a veteran of the London to Paris bike marathon, challenged himself to cycle around Wimbot
AN 83-year-old man took to pedal power when he helped his local raise money for the Pounds for Pints Appeal, run by the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
Tom Blanchflower, a veteran of the London to Paris bike marathon, challenged himself to cycle around Wimbotsham Hall as many times as he could in one hour.
It came after Wendy Grove, landlady of the Chequers' pub in Wimbotsham, near Downham Market, heard about the appeal and wanted to go the extra mile.
Mr Blanchflower completed nine laps around Wimbotsham Hall and, helped by more enthusiastic fundraising at the pub itself, the result was a cheque for �1,614.45 presented to the Air Ambulance's area fundraising manager Chris Donaldson.
You may also want to watch:
Chris said: "When I heard that an 83 year old was going to ride as fast as possible for an hour I was a little concerned. But, having met Tom, a very tanned and fit fellow, it's clear that regular exercise has kept him young.
"We're very grateful to landlady Wendy, husband Michael, daughter Emma, and of course Tom for all their efforts.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 'Chopper was a hard worker and put himself about' - tribute to ex-Fenmen star
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 6 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 7 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 8 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 9 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 10 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week