Wickes opens in Wisbech creating 40 jobs
- Credit: Archant
Forty jobs have been created thanks to the opening of a new Wickes store in Wisbech – 12 years after the company first considered moving to the town.
To celebrate the launch of the 25,000 square feet store, Mayor of Wisbech Councillor Steve Tierney and Steve Barclay MP have visited the store.
Steve Barclay MP said: “It’s great to see new businesses investing in our area.
“When I visited the new Wickes in Wisbech I was particularly delighted to hear that this had been the best soft launch of any Wickes branch in recent years and has resulted in the creation of 40 new jobs. “This will, hopefully, encourage other businesses to look to invest in Fenland.
“I wish everyone at the new store the very best for the future.”
You may also want to watch:
The home improvement retailer, with over 200 sites across the UK, is located north of Belgrave Retail Park.
Wickes first proposed moving to Wisbech in 2008 to fill what they felt was a ‘strategic gap’ between King’s Lynn and Peterborough.
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 5 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 6 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 9 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 10 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
However the project was shelved temporarily but resurrected in 2016 when the application came before Fenland planners to build the new store.
Those in store between 12pm and 4pm tomorrow, Saturday February 24, will have the chance to meet and have their photo taken with one of the UK’s most iconic four legged friends – the Dulux dog.