Why Linda’s a top class act in the Bronx
LINDA Wood-Cottier is an inspiration to youngsters in the New York school where she teaches, and now her innovative methods and enthusiasm have been recognised with a major award. She has taught at an elementary school in the Bronx for the past nine years
LINDA Wood-Cottier is an inspiration to youngsters in the New York school where she teaches, and now her innovative methods and enthusiasm have been recognised with a major award.
She has taught at an elementary school in the Bronx for the past nine years, and cannot imagine ever leaving.
The former Queen's Girls' School pupil moved away from Wisbech after marrying an American serviceman. She had a career selling cosmetics to celebrities and taking exercise classes in Los Angeles.
After moving to New York and volunteering to help in her son's school, she realised she needed a change and teaching was the career she wanted to follow. Encouraged by her family, she studied for her bachelor's degree in education at Manhattenville College.
You may also want to watch:
She earned her master's degree by studying at night from
Western Connecticut State University.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 6 Princes win top food and drink industry award
- 7 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
Many of the students who start school in Linda's classroom speak Spanish at home and have only a limited vocabulary in English. She helps them all to excel.
Linda, 60, has been awarded the Teacher of the Year award for an elementary school in The Blackboard Awards 2006.
One of a family of seven, Linda is the daughter of the late Robert and Elsie Wood, of Weasenham Lane. Her father was a well-known haulage contractor.