Sports clubs in Whittlesey form new group to lead the way for excellence
- Credit: Archant
A new sports association has been formed in a Fenland town with the aim of bringing together teams and leisure groups to herald success.
The Whittlesey Sports Association, created by Robert Windle, has currently signed up clubs and representatives from bowls, archery, shooting, netball and football.
Young and old are hoping to share their talents and tips for healthy sport and put Whittlesey on the map.
Mr Windle said he was delighted with the response so far.
“We have more than 20 organisations already signed up who are willing to come and try sessions and to support the rest of the membership,” he explained.
“In Fenland we hope to lead the way for excellence and we hope to raise awareness, grow memberships and support those with the potential to go on to greater success.”
The full aims of the association include:
- 1 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 2 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 3 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 4 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 5 Farm shop's green light for outdoor seating and play area
- 6 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 7 Partygoer who claimed ADHD caused him to kill jailed for life
- 8 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 9 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 10 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
• Creating a directory of sport and leisure organisations in Whittlesey and nearby villages.
• Creating a calendar of events for the year September 2018 to August 2019
• To ascertain the current membership of the organisations.
• To pass on any funding opportunities to the membership either individually or collectively.
• To identify and promote any potential talent and to enable them reach their potential.
• Make sure when any visiting club or association comes to Whittlesey they have a positive experience.
If you have a sports or leisure organisation who would like to get involved, contact Mr Windle on 01733 204445.
Whittlesey Sports Association can be found on Facebook with mini films on the member clubs.