WHITTLESEY: Diamond wedding anniversary celebrations for Fenland councillor Mick Speechley
FENLAND councillor Mick Speechley and his wife Iris celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary with family and friends. The couple who are both aged 80 met while still at school – Mick was a pupil at Station Road School in Whittlesey and Iris at Thorney
FENLAND councillor Mick Speechley and his wife Iris celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary with family and friends.
The couple who are both aged 80 met while still at school - Mick was a pupil at Station Road School in Whittlesey and Iris at Thorney.
Mick said: "There used to be a gang of boys and a gang of girls and we got to know each other." They were aged 20 when they married at St Andrew's Church in Whittlesey.
Mick was a bricklayer for a Whittlesey builder and eventually built a house in Snoots Road and bought land to start his own market garden business growing mainly celery plants.
You may also want to watch:
The couple worked in the business together and brought up their daughter Susan. They were forced to retire when Mick underwent major heart surgery.
Mick was a Cambridgeshire county councillor for 25 years and presently serves on Whittlesey Town Council and Fenland District Council
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 3 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 4 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 5 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 6 Man who died in road crash is named
- 7 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 8 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 9 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 10 How was conman hired as NHS finance boss five months after being unmasked?
The couple marked their big day last Thursday by holding open house. Mick said: "We had a marvellous day with lots of friends calling in. People have known me for a long time.