WEST NORFOLK: Running legend Ron Hill returning to Lynn for Grand East Anglian Rum
RUNNING legend Ron Hill is returning to King s Lynn this May to take part in the Bespak Grand East Anglia Run. Ron, who is now in his 70th year, is often dubbed the runner s runner. His contribution to the sport was recognised in 1971 when he was appoi
RUNNING legend Ron Hill is returning to King's Lynn this May to take part in the Bespak Grand East Anglia Run.
Ron, who is now in his 70th year, is often dubbed the runner's runner. His contribution to the sport was recognised in 1971 when he was appointed MBE for 'services to athletics'. His running career spans six decades and includes several world records.
Ron has run everyday since 20 December 1964 - that's over 16,000 days. He has clocked up over 151,000 miles and completed races in over 100 countries.
Borough Council Race Director Harry Collins commented: "Ron is a true running icon. He will bring a wealth of experience to the race and it will be a fantastic opportunity for entrants to run alongside him.
You may also want to watch:
"I'm sure he will encourage many more runners and spectators to join us for the Bespak Grand East Anglia Run. He was really popular last year with many people posing with him for photographs and getting autographs."
Cllr Elizabeth Nockolds, Cabinet member for Sports, Arts and Open Spaces, added: "Ron's achievements are awe-inspiring. I'm really pleased that Ron is offering to spend an evening with entrants, ahead of this year's race, to share some of his experience and knowledge.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 3 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 4 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 5 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 6 Man who died in road crash is named
- 7 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 8 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 9 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 10 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
"Full details of the evening, which will take place at Lynnsport on Friday, 1st May, will be included in information packs sent to race entrants. I would encourage people to book a place as soon as they get their packs as numbers will be limited."
To join the run with Ron Hill, enter online at www.grandeastangliarun.co.uk. The race takes place on Sunday, 3 May 2009, at 10.30am and is open to anyone aged 15 or over on race day. Competitors can take part as an individual, as part of a team or as an affiliated athletics club member. Everyone taking part will receive a medal, t-shirt and goody bag.
An established fixture on the athletics calendar, Bespak GEAR is an East of England Grand Prix event and has retained Gold Grade Status from the British Association of Road Runners.
Cost of entry is �17 unaffiliated (�15 affiliated) - online entries receive a �2 discount. No entries will be accepted on the day.