'Overwhelmed' villagers help raise over £5,000 from VE Day 10k
- Credit: Care for Veterans
An army major and a runner from the Fens honoured current and past armed forces personnel in a virtual 10k charity challenge.
Major Anthony Gleave of Welney and James Turrington, of the village’s running club, were two of 200 runners taking part in the VE Day event on May 8 to mark 76 years since Victory in Europe was declared.
“We were overwhelmed by the amount of runners and non-runners from our small village who took up the challenge this weekend,” Anthony said.
“Hopefully the donations from the village of Welney have made a small difference to those who need it most.”
Both Anthony and James were set the task of running the distance by Welney Running Club as part of the event, which raised over £5,000 for Care for Veterans.
You may also want to watch:
James’ late grandfather served as a pilot in the Second World War and felt the challenge, which he ran with his two eldest sons Ryan (12) and Liam (10), was “a fitting tribute”.
James Bacharew, head of fundraising and marketing at Care for Veterans, said: The funds raised will help us continue to provide the highest levels of care for disabled veterans and their immediate families.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 'We will improve' believes new Wisbech St Mary boss after opening defeat
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 6 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 7 Princes win top food and drink industry award
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Man dies in three-car A47 crash and another remains in life-threatening condition
The funds raised will help towards the £1.9 million needed each year for the charity to maintain its nursing and rehabilitation services for ex-service personnel.