Wells Lifeboat launched to go to the aid of yacht en route from Lowestoft to Wisbech
A NORFOLK lifeboat was launched to go to the aid of yacht en route from Lowestoft to Wisbech. The yacht had gone aground in shallow waters in an area known as Bob Hall s Sand off the coast near Wells..The Wells crew was requested to launch just after 3.3
A NORFOLK lifeboat was launched to go to the aid of yacht en route from Lowestoft to Wisbech.
The yacht had gone aground in shallow waters in an area known as Bob Hall's Sand off the coast near Wells..
The Wells crew was requested to launch just after 3.30am after the eight-foot yacht, the Mary Sue, issued a Mayday call to Yarmouth coastguards that she had gone aground.
The yacht had one person aboard and was understood to be sailing from Lowestoft to Wisbech.
You may also want to watch:
The lifeboat crew managed to pull the vessel off the sand and re-float her when the tide started to flood and she was then towed to deep water.
Two of the lifeboat crew remained on board the yacht while the lifeboat remained on standby. The incident was completed satisfactorily by 10.30am yesterday.
- 1 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 2 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 3 Cafe boss throws hat in the ring for county election
- 4 Shotgun, fake cash and cannabis found at suspected dealer’s home
- 5 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 6 Five year mystery of what happened to modern day slavery victim
- 7 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 8 Urgent repairs at Wisbech Museum due to start
- 9 Council road sweeper vehicle involved in collision with car
- 10 Civic business as usual for under fire Wisbech mayor
Lifeboat operations manager Chris Hardy said : "It looks as if she (the yacht) was hugging the coastline and mis-judged the depth of water around the area known as Bob Hall's Sand which is very shallow."
It was the second rescue operation for the Wells crew in little over 24 hours. The lifeboat was launched early on Sunday evening to assist a two-man crew of a day boat who feared they were in danger of being swamped by a rising sea swell. The boat was escorted safely back to Wells harbour.