Wedding dress that stood the test of time 25 years apart
JUNE Hopkins and her daughter Teresa Stiles both wore this beautiful handmade dress on their wedding days – 25 years apart. And this week, June celebrated her golden wedding anniversary with husband Michael and there were silver wedding celebrations for T
JUNE Hopkins and her daughter Teresa Stiles both wore this beautiful handmade dress on their wedding days - 25 years apart.
And this week, June celebrated her golden wedding anniversary with husband Michael and there were silver wedding celebrations for Teresa and Nick.
"When I was 14, I was looking in my grandmother's bedroom and she showed me my mother's wedding gown," said Teresa, of County Road.
"I remember thinking it was beautiful, and knew I was going to wear it at my wedding.
"Looking at it again brings back lots of memories and the dress is a real treasure in our family."
June added: "This is the original design and it is very well made.
- 1 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 2 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 3 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 4 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 5 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 6 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 7 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 8 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 9 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 10 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
"My 14-year-old granddaughter has also said she would like to wear it on her wedding day. It may become a family tradition with the girls."
The detailed Nottingham lace full length gown has a pale blue net underskirt.
It was handmade by Mrs Loveday a professional dressmaker and Hereward School teacher who lived in County Road, March.
June, of Wake Road, married her husband Michael on Saturday, May 17 1958 and Teresa and Nick wed on May 21 1983.
Not only did the mother and daughter wear the same dress, they were both married in the March Roman Catholic Church.
And Teresa chose the first Saturday after her parent's silver wedding anniversary for her and Nick's wedding day.
June and Michael celebrated 50 years of marriage with their three children and eight grandchildren with a meal at the Oliver Cromwell Hotel at the weekend.
The couple met while dancing at the Wisbech Corn Exchange.
Speaking about the secrets to a successful marriage, June said: "Couples shouldn't go straight to the divorce courts after the first argument.