Weasenham Lane, Wisbech, closed after massive hole appears in the road - county council says drain has collapsed
- Credit: Archant
A massive hole has appeared in Weasenham Lane, Wisbech, and is expected to cause traffic chaos in the town tomorrow for commuters.
Cambridgeshire County Council highways department has issued a warning to avoid the area if possible and said the road is closed between Sandall Road and Cromwell Road due to a collapsed drain.
“Please use alternative route,” a spokesman said.
Social media posts are urging people to remember there is no access from beyond Regal Road coming from Cromwell Road and no access from beyond Sandall Road coming from Churchill Road/Elm High Road.
Numerous visitors to the spot where the drain has collapsed fear it could be several days before the repair is made.
You may also want to watch:
One person posted there were “signs of more potential collapses along Weasenham Lane. I hope the highways department and other relevant organisations fix them before they collapse”.
Many are hoping the road will be repaired prior to schools opening on Wednesday for the start of the autumn term; it is one of the main routes used to get to Thomas Clarkson Academy.
- 1 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 2 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 3 Clean, green and affordable: choose market leader Nissan to start your electric motoring journey
- 4 Fit of the Fens challenge to raise cash for the homeless
- 5 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 6 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 7 Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- 8 Go-kart star Vinnie shines in Europe ahead of new campaign
- 9 'Chopper was a hard worker and put himself about' - tribute to ex-Fenmen star
- 10 ‘It needs to get sorted’ - heartfelt plea after flood nightmare