Weasenham Lane, Wisbech, closed after massive hole appears in the road - county council says drain has collapsed
- Credit: Archant
A massive hole has appeared in Weasenham Lane, Wisbech, and is expected to cause traffic chaos in the town tomorrow for commuters.
Cambridgeshire County Council highways department has issued a warning to avoid the area if possible and said the road is closed between Sandall Road and Cromwell Road due to a collapsed drain.
“Please use alternative route,” a spokesman said.
Social media posts are urging people to remember there is no access from beyond Regal Road coming from Cromwell Road and no access from beyond Sandall Road coming from Churchill Road/Elm High Road.
Numerous visitors to the spot where the drain has collapsed fear it could be several days before the repair is made.
You may also want to watch:
One person posted there were “signs of more potential collapses along Weasenham Lane. I hope the highways department and other relevant organisations fix them before they collapse”.
Many are hoping the road will be repaired prior to schools opening on Wednesday for the start of the autumn term; it is one of the main routes used to get to Thomas Clarkson Academy.
- 1 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 2 Vicar's concerns over 'hugely vulnerable' rough sleepers
- 3 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 5 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 6 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 7 110-year-old church gates reappear following £400 makeover
- 8 Domestic abuse survivor speaks out on 'reign of terror'
- 9 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 10 £2,000 boost gives Saints a solid restart from lockdown