Wartime hero Henry Wagner, 94, tells stories of World War Two to Wisbech Business And Professional Men’s Club members
- Credit: Archant
A 94-year-old Halifax navigator during World War Two was the guest at the March meeting of the Wisbech Business And Professional Men’s Club.
Henry Wagner, who was based at Snape near Doncaster and flew several missions bombing Germany, was introduced by club chairman Tony Yates.
Henry told the club how he came down on one mission and was on the run in Germany drinking water from puddles and dykes to survive.
He flew in both Lancaster and Halifax Aircraft. He enthralled members with his stories.
The Lancaster was a British four-engine plane, a Second World War bomber with a crew of seven. The crew consisted of the pilot, navigator, bomb aimer, flight engineer, wireless operator and a mid and rear gunner.
You may also want to watch:
He produced lots of photographs which were
handed to members to look at.
- 1 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 2 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 3 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 4 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 5 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 6 Man who died in road crash is named
- 7 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 8 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 9 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 10 How was conman hired as NHS finance boss five months after being unmasked?
He spoke for over an hour and received a standing ovation at the end.
He was thanked on behalf of the club by member Mike Burns.
Forty five members and guests attended the meeting at Mendi’s Wisbech.
Club chairman Tony Yates added that only a limited number of seats are left for his Chairman At Home Function to be held at Wisbech Rugby Club on Sunday April 9.
A go-karting day is to be arranged sometime in July.
The date of the next meeting is April 11 when the guest speaker will be Jody Cundy OBE.