Warning after embers from neighbour’s bonfire leads to shed fire in Gorefield Road, Leverington
- Credit: Archant
A shed caught fire in Leverington yesterday when embers from a bonfire in a neighbouring garden caught the wind and spread.
When crews from Wisbech, March and Long Sutton arrived at Gorefield Road, they found fencing and a shed measuring five meters by 10 meters alight.
The blaze was affecting a single storey lean-to extension.
Station Commander Stuart Smith said: “Although unfortunately the lean-to and garden were destroyed, crews worked hard to stop the fire from spreading to the extension on the property.
“We believe this fire was caused by embers from a bonfire in a neighbouring garden, being carried by the wind and spreading.
“We would urge residents to take their garden waste to a local waste and recycling centre rather than build bonfires in their gardens.
“They can spread quickly and can easily cause great damage.”
- 1 Arsonist started fire in Wisbech care home
- 2 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 3 Elderly man scares off would-be burglar
- 4 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 5 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 6 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 7 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 8 Armed police swoop on youngsters brandishing suspected hand gun
- 9 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 10 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels and jets to extinguish the fire.
Crews returned to their stations by 4.05pm.