WALPOLE ST ANDREW: Villagers urged to use new community shop - or lose it
Story by: MAGGIE GIBSON VILLAGERS are being urged to use a community shop opened to sell groceries and other items after the closure of the local post office. The Walpole Community Interest Shop based in the Community Centre in Walpole St Andrew opened se
Story by: MAGGIE GIBSON
VILLAGERS are being urged to use a community shop opened to sell groceries and other items after the closure of the local post office.
The Walpole Community Interest Shop based in the Community Centre in Walpole St Andrew opened seven weeks ago.
Zena Stacey who works in the shop said: "It has been a bit slow but we are ticking over. Trade has been steady but I don't think everyone knows we are here yet, if people don't use it they will lose it."
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Stacey said among the most popular items are fresh bread, milk and eggs.
This week saw the start of weekly coffee mornings which will be held each Tuesday and Friday with everyone welcome. It is hoped that parents dropping off youngsters at school will then call in for coffee, a chat, and to do some shopping.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 3 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 4 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 5 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 6 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 7 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
Prices in the shop are competitive and because the shop is charity based any profit will be distributed to local good causes at the end of the year.
Shares costing �10 have been on sale and each shareholder is entitled to have a say in the running of the shop and have as little or as much input as they want.
The shop is open Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 4.30pm and on Saturdays from 9.30 to 12 noon.