WALPOLE HIGHWAY: Brave dad donates part of his liver to save the life of his baby daughter
A BRAVE dad who donated part of his liver to save the life of his baby daughter has been hailed a hero by his family. Amelia Green was diagnosed with a rare liver disease at just a few weeks old, and was fighting for her life when her father Edward made t
A BRAVE dad who donated part of his liver to save the life of his baby daughter has been hailed a hero by his family.
Amelia Green was diagnosed with a rare liver disease at just a few weeks old, and was fighting for her life when her father Edward made the decision to undergo surgery.
"It was an easy decision to make, Amelia was so sick that we just couldn't wait for a donor liver," said 42-year-old Edward of Walpole Highway.
"Giving part of my liver meant Amelia could have the operation as quickly as possible.
You may also want to watch:
"My first thought after coming round was for Amelia. The next day I was taken in a wheelchair to see her. When she looked at me her eyes were white and not yellow, it was absolutely fantastic. The change in her was incredible."
His wife Roberta said: "Edward has been such a hero, how can you thank someone enough for doing this? He has been so brave and brilliant. There aren't words to express what a difference he has made to Amelia and the whole family."
- 1 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital launches Covid-19 patient helpline
- 5 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
- 6 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 7 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Shoplifter jailed after stealing goods worth £1,600
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
"If Amelia had not had the operation, she would have been very poorly by now. But she is now doing brilliantly. She is putting on weight; she is a normal colour and is doing the things she should be doing. She is a real character; she pulls faces and throws things out of her high chair and laughs."
Amelia was born in July last year, and was jaundiced at two days old, and despite an operation her health declined. She was put on the transplant list in December, and underwent the operation at Kings College Hospital in London on March 2.
The Green family now want to raise awareness of the need for organ donors and the Children's Liver Disease Foundation, the charity that supported them throughout their ordeal.