Freedom of Wisbech for a fire engine and green fingered volunteers
- Credit: Archant
A vintage fire engine and a team that brightens up the town with flowers have been given the honour of Freedom of Wisbech.
Vivien the Fire Engine and the In Bloom team were officially given the honour during a ceremony at the town hall.
Town councillors nominated them as a life time thank you for making a difference in the community.
Councillor Sam Hoy nominated the fire engine trust which was seconded by Councillor Phillip Wing.
Councillor Peter Human nominated Wisbech In Bloom 2018 seconded by Councillor Hill.
You may also want to watch:
The nominations are in recognition of invaluable work that people within both groups undertake, on a voluntary basis.
Ms Hoy had hoped to give the award posthumously to George Dunlop, founder of the Vivien the Fire Engine Trust, but sadly this was not possible.
- 1 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 2 Dogs 'whining and crying' claims kennels objector
- 3 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
- 4 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 5 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 6 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 7 First wholetime woman firefighter in Cambs retires after 30 years
- 8 Arsonists strike again by setting fire to tyres
- 9 Port welcomes 10 ships in a month from Latvia to The Netherlands
- 10 Two appear in court for murder after victim dies from 2006 assault
Vivien is a Leyland fire engine, which served Wisbech from 1932 until 1963.
Named after the mayoress at the time, Vivien was regarded as one of the most up-to-date fire engines in the district.
Vivien features in many local events and exhibitions, ranging from historical galleries, parades, festive occasions, and private events like weddings.
Wisbech In Bloom is made up of a team of green fingered enthusiast who brighten up the town with floral exhibitions.
They have won 10 Anglia in Bloom gold awards in a row and have enjoyed success in the national Britain In Bloom and international Communities in Bloom contests.