Vivien the Fire Engine and the In Bloom volunteers are being given the honour of Freedom of the Town
- Credit: Archant
Vivien the Fire Engine and the In Bloom team are being given the honour of the Freedom of Wisbech for making a difference in the local community.
Town councillors nominated the pair in their latest meeting as a life time thank you.
Councillor Peter Human nominated Wisbech In Bloom 2018 seconded by Councillor Hill.
The nomination is in recognition of what they agree is the invaluable work that the group undertakes, on a voluntary basis, to enhance the attractiveness of the town and to help “put it on the map” through the success that this group achieves.
The second nomination, proposed by Councillor Sam Hoy and seconded by Councillor Phillip Wing, is Vivien Fire Engine Trust.
You may also want to watch:
The nomination is in recognition of the invaluable voluntary work supporting and promoting the town and its history, as well as its participation in numerous civic and community events in Wisbech and beyond.
Ms Hoy said she hoped to give the award posthumously to George Dunlop, who founded the Vivien the Fire Engine Trust, but sadly this was not possible.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 3 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 4 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 5 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 8 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
It is hoped his son Fraser will be able to attend.
In 1980, an act was passed that permits councils to give the title of honorary freemen to “persons of distinction and any persons (or groups) who have, in the opinion of the council, rendered eminent services to the borough or town.
The freedom is an honour to recognise the significant and valuable services by that person or group.