Village pavilion arson blaze could have been worse if flames had spread to gas cylinders

PUBLISHED: 11:57 23 March 2010 | UPDATED: 09:35 02 June 2010

Gorefield playing field pavillion set allight by arsonists
John Hunt and Michael Humphrey

Gorefield playing field pavillion set allight by arsonists John Hunt and Michael Humphrey

By Tom Jackson ARSONISTS hopes of totally destroying a village pavilion failed when their fire became starved of oxygen before flames could ignite nearby gas canisters. But their efforts have left Gorefield s football team without a pavilion for the time

Gorefield playing field pavillion set allight by arsonists
John Hunt and Michael Humphrey

By Tom Jackson

ARSONISTS' hopes of totally destroying a village pavilion failed when their fire became starved of oxygen before flames could ignite nearby gas canisters.

But their efforts have left Gorefield's football team without a pavilion for the time being - and the village's playing field association with a huge clear-up on its hands.

Arsonists struck overnight last Wednesday at the Wolf Lane pavilion. They entered by forcing the door locks and moving some combustible materials close to some upholstered chairs and two LPG gas canisters.

After starting the fire, they left the pavilion and closed the doors behind them.

"It's a wonder that the roof didn't go up," said Councillor Michael Humphrey, vice-chairman of Fenland District Council and chairman of Gorefield Parish Council. "The only reason it didn't was because the fire burned itself out of oxygen.

"The building is coming to the end of its useful life - the playing field association is in the process of trying to get a new one.

"The playing field association is still determined to replace the old prefab, but it is still serving a use and the village football team now has nowhere to change.

"But we have some new equipment being installed at the playing field - and I'm worried that will be the vandals' next target."

The fire was discovered on Thursday morning by John Hunt, chairman of the playing field association, who called the fire service.

Steve Robinson, station manager at Dogsthorpe who attended the incident, said: "This would have been a very serious incident if the fire had spread to the LPG cylinders.

"It could have seriously endangered the life of anyone who discovered the fire and the firefighters who would inevitably been called.

"If anyone has any information about this incident, they should contact the police on 0345 456 4564.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Wisbech Standard