Village pavilion arson blaze could have been worse if flames had spread to gas cylinders
By Tom Jackson ARSONISTS hopes of totally destroying a village pavilion failed when their fire became starved of oxygen before flames could ignite nearby gas canisters. But their efforts have left Gorefield s football team without a pavilion for the time
By Tom Jackson
ARSONISTS' hopes of totally destroying a village pavilion failed when their fire became starved of oxygen before flames could ignite nearby gas canisters.
But their efforts have left Gorefield's football team without a pavilion for the time being - and the village's playing field association with a huge clear-up on its hands.
Arsonists struck overnight last Wednesday at the Wolf Lane pavilion. They entered by forcing the door locks and moving some combustible materials close to some upholstered chairs and two LPG gas canisters.
You may also want to watch:
After starting the fire, they left the pavilion and closed the doors behind them.
"It's a wonder that the roof didn't go up," said Councillor Michael Humphrey, vice-chairman of Fenland District Council and chairman of Gorefield Parish Council. "The only reason it didn't was because the fire burned itself out of oxygen.
- 1 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 2 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 3 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 4 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 7 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 8 Burnouts, revving engines and upset shoppers lead to dispersal order
- 9 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 10 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
"The building is coming to the end of its useful life - the playing field association is in the process of trying to get a new one.
"The playing field association is still determined to replace the old prefab, but it is still serving a use and the village football team now has nowhere to change.
"But we have some new equipment being installed at the playing field - and I'm worried that will be the vandals' next target."
The fire was discovered on Thursday morning by John Hunt, chairman of the playing field association, who called the fire service.
Steve Robinson, station manager at Dogsthorpe who attended the incident, said: "This would have been a very serious incident if the fire had spread to the LPG cylinders.
"It could have seriously endangered the life of anyone who discovered the fire and the firefighters who would inevitably been called.
"If anyone has any information about this incident, they should contact the police on 0345 456 4564.