Video: WISBECH - Is this the worst pedestrian crossing in the whole of Cambridgeshire?
THESE dramatic photos, taken earlier today by Wisbech Standard photographer Brian Purdy, shows the risks of using a crossing near Freedom Bridge roundabout which almost claimed the life of another victim yesterday. Today, 24 hours after the town came to a
THESE dramatic photos, taken earlier today by Wisbech Standard photographer Brian Purdy, shows the risks of using a crossing near Freedom Bridge roundabout which almost claimed the life of another victim yesterday.
Today, 24 hours after the town came to a standstill after a pedestrian was hit on the crossing, we took photographs showing the perils of using the same pedestrian crossing.
Ironically at the very moment when yesterday's accident occurred across town highway chiefs, councillors and business leaders were discussing plans to improve road safety in Wisbech.
"Something of a bitter irony," said businessman Jon Allen, one of those attending the three hour think tank.
You may also want to watch:
"The conclusion from the group I was working with is that a lot can be done fiddling round the edges but the main problem is through traffic on the A1101.
"Until and unless there is another river crossing, we will continue to face this difficult decision."
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 3 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 4 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 10 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
Mr Allen, managing director of Pike Textiles, added: "The solution that dares not speak it name is a western bypass."
Peter Vale, Area Traffic Engineer for Cambridgeshire County Council,
said: "Road safety is our top priority and we are concerned to hear about this accident and our thoughts are with those involved. We will wait to hear the results of the
police investigation into the cause of this accident which happened around the crossing and not on the roundabout where the changes had been made."
However district councillor Phil Webb believes Monday's near fatality "was an accident waiting to happen."
And Wisbech Mayor Jonathan Farmer described the roundabout as "one of the worst accident black spots in Cambridgeshire."
(Email your views to the editor: firstname.lastname@example.org)