Video & Slideshow: Welney Wash Road floods - leaving village marooned
MOTORISTS face 20-mile detours and businesses face losing a third of trade – but the ducks are going quackers now the Welney Wash Road has flooded. The annual Wash Road flooding arrived during the Christmas break and showed no signs of easing when we paid
MOTORISTS face 20-mile detours and businesses face losing a third of trade - but the ducks are going quackers now the Welney Wash Road has flooded.
The annual Wash Road flooding arrived during the Christmas break and showed no signs of easing when we paid a trip to Welney today (Monday).
We found ducks paddling their way across the waters free of passing traffic, dog walkers enjoying the picturesque scenes the stretch for miles and birdwatchers armed with camera ready for sightings of swans.
Many motorists came and went during our hour-long stay, deciding to play safe rather than risk getting stranded in the freezing cold waters.
You may also want to watch:
But there was one driver plucky enough to take on the challenge - and the van from Roberto Mac Recruitment of March successfully negotiated the Wash.
Some were not as brave during the last couple of days, with some entering the water but soon reversing back towards the village.
- 1 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 2 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks
- 3 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 6 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 7 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 8 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 9 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
But now there is an added hazard on the approach to the flooded stretch. One side of the road on the bridge over the Old Bedford River is now covered with a sheet of black ice.