Video & Gallery: Three arrested after raids in Wisbech and Downham Market in hunt for stolen goods
HUNDREDS of pounds worth of items were seized today when police swooped at homes and shops as part of an operation in the hunt for stolen goods. The Allsorts second hand shop was the main focus of this morning s raids, with mostly electrical items seized
Story by: TOM JACKSON
HUNDREDS of pounds worth of items were seized today when police swooped at homes and shops as part of an operation in the hunt for stolen goods.
The Allsorts second hand shop was the main focus of this morning's raids, with mostly electrical items seized from the Norfolk Street business.
A search was simultaneously carried out at The Phone Shop in Market Place, after three people were arrested during dawn warrants executed in Wisbech and Downham Market under Operation Orange.
A further raid was carried out in the Thames Valley area as part of the same investigation, where property was seized.
Chief Insp Russell Waterston, who is leading the operation, said: "The series of arrests were made in relation to an ongoing operation against the handling of stolen goods.
- 1 ‘Thank you, my NHS, you were simply amazing’
- 2 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 3 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 4 Clarion Housing ‘cyber incident’ affects thousands of tenants
- 5 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 6 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 7 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 8 Council has extra £18m in the kitty because of Covid
- 9 Child shot in face by BB gun bought at summer festival
- 10 Recap: Air ambulance attends A47 crash near Wisbech
"A series of raids were carried out across Wisbech under the Theft Act in connection with our investigation."
Police from across the county have spent the morning searching through goods on sale in the shop, seizing items such as DVD players, radios, torches, X-Box games and PlayStation games. Police packed a Skoda Octavia estate car with seized items.
Three people were arrested in the dawn raids - police simultaneously struck at houses in Wisbech and in Downham Market at 7.30pm.
Two women, aged 33 and 35, were arrested at an address in Churchfield Way, Wisbech, and a man aged 35 was arrested at a home in Manby Close, Downham Market. They were all arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods.
Chief Insp Waterston said: "We got the keys for the shops, which enabled us to start our searches."
All three people are currently in custody at Bridge Street Police Station in Peterborough for questioning.