Video & Gallery: Three arrested after raids in Wisbech and Downham Market in hunt for stolen goods
HUNDREDS of pounds worth of items were seized today when police swooped at homes and shops as part of an operation in the hunt for stolen goods. The Allsorts second hand shop was the main focus of this morning s raids, with mostly electrical items seized
Story by: TOM JACKSON
HUNDREDS of pounds worth of items were seized today when police swooped at homes and shops as part of an operation in the hunt for stolen goods.
The Allsorts second hand shop was the main focus of this morning's raids, with mostly electrical items seized from the Norfolk Street business.
A search was simultaneously carried out at The Phone Shop in Market Place, after three people were arrested during dawn warrants executed in Wisbech and Downham Market under Operation Orange.
You may also want to watch:
A further raid was carried out in the Thames Valley area as part of the same investigation, where property was seized.
Chief Insp Russell Waterston, who is leading the operation, said: "The series of arrests were made in relation to an ongoing operation against the handling of stolen goods.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 3 Table tennis club 'bitterly disappointed' to be told to move
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- 6 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 7 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 8 Flytippers target same Fenland road two days in a row
- 9 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 10 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
"A series of raids were carried out across Wisbech under the Theft Act in connection with our investigation."
Police from across the county have spent the morning searching through goods on sale in the shop, seizing items such as DVD players, radios, torches, X-Box games and PlayStation games. Police packed a Skoda Octavia estate car with seized items.
Three people were arrested in the dawn raids - police simultaneously struck at houses in Wisbech and in Downham Market at 7.30pm.
Two women, aged 33 and 35, were arrested at an address in Churchfield Way, Wisbech, and a man aged 35 was arrested at a home in Manby Close, Downham Market. They were all arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods.
Chief Insp Waterston said: "We got the keys for the shops, which enabled us to start our searches."
All three people are currently in custody at Bridge Street Police Station in Peterborough for questioning.