Upwell pumpkin growers set for biggest Halloween harvest yet
- Credit: Archant
An Upwell company have had their strongest pumpkin harvest since records began 35 years ago and are set to supply Asda with more than one million pumpkins this year.
KJ Curson Growers, who are working with the supermarket giant for the 15th year, have grown and supplied more than 10 million pumpkins to Asda stores throughout the UK throughout their partnership.
Kevin Curson, owner of KJ Curson Growers, said: “After 15 fantastic years’ of supplying Asda, we are celebrating with providing the supermarket with our largest harvest ever, with more than a million being grown and nurtured specifically for the supermarket and their customers.
“A lot of care and time is taken to ensure that the pumpkins are the highest quality and the harvest is a credit to the 100 plus farmers we have working around the clock during September and October.”
Lucy Grieve, Asda’s Produce Category Planner, said: “Asda is committed to supporting local producers and we’re proud to have been working with KJ Curson Growers for 15 years.
You may also want to watch:
“The team here at Asda work incredibly closely with our growers such as Cursons to ensure that its expertly grown seasonal produce is harvested, packed, and at optimum ripeness for when it hits shelves in-store.
“Maintaining long and strong relationships with our suppliers is key to our success in ensuring our customers get the best fresh produce all year round.”
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 4 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 5 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 6 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 7 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 8 Room to improve as villagers fail to cope with rampant visitors
- 9 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 10 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
Top 10 Pumpkin Carving Tips
1. Choose your pumpkin carefully – If you want a long haunting face, pick a good length pumpkin, or if you’re looking for something extra scary, how about one with many lumps and bumps.
2. Get some inspiration for your design - search social media for some examples to fuel your imagination.
3. Traditional or not? – Be imaginative, why not try making your pumpkin a Cyclops rather than the traditional two eyed monster.
4. Add some depth – Give your pumpkin a two toned effect by shaving some parts of it too.
5. Use other items to enhance your pumpkin – use leaves, screws or bandages to make it extra spooky.
6. Give it some extra colour – Paint your pumpkin using dark nail varnish to enhance some of its features.
7. Use your pumpkin seeds – add some extra design to your pumpkin by making it look as though his insides are on the way out.
8. Brighten your teeth – add some white tape to the teeth to make them as bright as can be.
9. Get a battery powered tea light – Everyone needs a tea light in their pumpkin to make it visible, use a battery powered one to make the effect last longer.
10. Give your pumpkin a sidekick – two pumpkins always look better than one.