UPWELL: Humour a plenty in Gilbert and Sullivan's 'The Sorcerer'
THE Upwell Gilbert and Sullivan Society promises to create more Victorian humour again in the Fens this week with performances of the duo s comic operas. The Sorcerer is their very first surviving full-length collaboration and will be staged at St Andre
THE Upwell Gilbert and Sullivan Society promises to create more Victorian humour again in the Fens this week with performances of the duo's comic operas.
'The Sorcerer' is their very first surviving full-length collaboration and will be staged at St Andrew's Methodist Church in Outwell tonight (Friday) and tomorrow (Saturday).
It is one of Gilbert and Sullivan's famous 14 comic operas, first performed in 1877, and still amuses audiences around the world today.
Sorcerer, John Wellington Wells slips a love potion into everyone's tea as villagers celebrate an engagement.
You may also want to watch:
Martin Wells, Musical Director or The Upwell Gilbert and Sullivan Society, said: "This G&S opera has many admirers and lots of wit and skill."
In true Gilbert and Sullivan fashion, madness and mayhem break out when the unmarried villagers start falling in love with each other.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 3 Table tennis club 'bitterly disappointed' to be told to move
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 Flytippers target same Fenland road two days in a row
- 7 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 8 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 9 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 10 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
But Mr Wells insists that 'true Victorian values of respectability are retained' throughout the show.
A short second opera - The Zoo - will also be performed by the group.
Mr Wells added: "Thanks to one or two new principal players joining us this year, we are also including a novelty curtain-raiser 'The Zoo' a miniature by Sullivan and Stephenson.
"The Upwell G&S Society is looking forward to welcoming friends old and new to what they are promising will be an excellent double-bill."
*W Tickets are £6 adults and £4 children, and are available in advance on 01945 773070 (evenings only) or on the door subject to availability.
Photos: Pete Upton.