UPWELL: Devastation at the family home following fire caused by scented candle

PUBLISHED: 15:02 24 June 2009 | UPDATED: 09:08 02 June 2010

House fire at 61 Croft Road, Upwell. Pictured: the main bedroom in the property where the fire started.
PHOTO: IAN BURT
COPY:Annabelle Dickson
FOR:EDP News
EDP pics © 2009
(01603)772434

House fire at 61 Croft Road, Upwell. Pictured: the main bedroom in the property where the fire started. PHOTO: IAN BURT COPY:Annabelle Dickson FOR:EDP News EDP pics © 2009 (01603)772434

Archant © 2009

A YOUNG mother had a narrow escape after a fire started by a scented candle left her family homeless.

Kate Brown, 29, was in her rented bungalow at Croft Road in Upwell, near Wisbech, on Sunday evening after the candle in her bedroom was knocked over and

House fire at 61 Croft Road, Upwell. Pictured: fire damage in the lounge of the property.
PHOTO: IAN BURT
COPY:Annabelle Dickson
FOR:EDP News
EDP pics © 2009
(01603)772434

A YOUNG mother had a narrow escape after a fire started by a scented candle left her family homeless.

Kate Brown, 29, was in her rented bungalow at Croft Road in Upwell, near Wisbech, on Sunday evening after the candle in her bedroom was knocked over and set light to her mattress while partner, Nick Chenery, and three-year-old daughter, Sophie, visited a supermarket.

Miss Brown managed to escape and rescue her dog, Kira, before fire crews arrived on the scene shortly after 8.40pm.

Miss Brown said: "If you're going to light a candle be so careful; don't take your eyes off them.

"I lit a scented candle in my bedroom; it was big thickset one on my bedside table, and it got knocked, went on my mattress and the mattress just went up in flames. I tried to pick up my duvet to put it out but that got really hot and caught fire too."

She was able to get to her front door but as soon as she opened it to leave, cocker spaniel Kira ran back into the house.

Miss Brown said: "I went back in for her and it just went black. The place was filled with smoke and I couldn't see anything. All the windows were starting to crack and nearly blew out. I managed to grab her collar and drag her out."

Miss Brown managed to get help from a neighbour and Mr Chenery tried to dowse the fire with a hose pipe on his return, before his partner was treated for smoke inhalation.

The bungalow was badly damaged by the fire, which fire crews spent 90 minutes battling, and the young family have been left staying between hotels and neighbours until their home is repaired.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Wisbech Standard