UPWELL: Devastation at the family home following fire caused by scented candle
A YOUNG mother had a narrow escape after a fire started by a scented candle left her family homeless.Kate Brown, 29, was in her rented bungalow at Croft Road in Upwell, near Wisbech, on Sunday evening after the candle in her bedroom was knocked over and
A YOUNG mother had a narrow escape after a fire started by a scented candle left her family homeless.
Kate Brown, 29, was in her rented bungalow at Croft Road in Upwell, near Wisbech, on Sunday evening after the candle in her bedroom was knocked over and set light to her mattress while partner, Nick Chenery, and three-year-old daughter, Sophie, visited a supermarket.
Miss Brown managed to escape and rescue her dog, Kira, before fire crews arrived on the scene shortly after 8.40pm.
Miss Brown said: "If you're going to light a candle be so careful; don't take your eyes off them.
You may also want to watch:
"I lit a scented candle in my bedroom; it was big thickset one on my bedside table, and it got knocked, went on my mattress and the mattress just went up in flames. I tried to pick up my duvet to put it out but that got really hot and caught fire too."
She was able to get to her front door but as soon as she opened it to leave, cocker spaniel Kira ran back into the house.
- 1 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 2 Man escapes ‘shocking case’ of modern slavery at hand car wash
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Share your views on our newspaper via reader survey
- 5 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 6 Woman ‘drink driver’ arrested for having no licence or insurance
- 7 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 8 WATCH: Air ambulances can't land after hospital helipad wrecked by US aircraft
- 9 Man who died in road crash is named
- 10 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
Miss Brown said: "I went back in for her and it just went black. The place was filled with smoke and I couldn't see anything. All the windows were starting to crack and nearly blew out. I managed to grab her collar and drag her out."
Miss Brown managed to get help from a neighbour and Mr Chenery tried to dowse the fire with a hose pipe on his return, before his partner was treated for smoke inhalation.
The bungalow was badly damaged by the fire, which fire crews spent 90 minutes battling, and the young family have been left staying between hotels and neighbours until their home is repaired.