Upwell councillor steps down ahead of election fraud hearing before magistrates: by election date announced
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press, Archant
A by election will take place in Upwell on the day of the general election following the decision by a serving councillor to resign after being charged with election fraud.
West Norfolk councillor David Pope is due before magistrates on November 14 but has resigned his seat on King's Lynn & West Norfolk Council.
The council gave notice of the by election today and if candidates have until November November 15 to put their names forward.
A spokesman for Norfolk Police said: "I can confirm we are investigating a case against David Pope, of allocations of false signatures on nomination papers for the May 2019 elections.
"Pope is due to appear at King's Lynn Magistrates' Court on November 14. As this is an active case, we are unable to give further details of the investigation."
You may also want to watch:
Pope, who stood as an Independent, won the Upwell and Delph ward with 758 votes at the May election.
Next were Independent Colin Rose, with 589 votes, Conservative Bill Smith (463) and Conservative Matt Gingell (425).
- 1 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 2 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 5 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 6 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 7 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election
- 8 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 9 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 10 First wholetime woman firefighter in Cambs retires after 30 years
For the previous 17 years, he had represented the Conservative Party.
Currently, the Conservatives hold the balance of power by one seat. They have 28 councillors, while the Independents, Labour, Green, Lib Dems have 26, while there is currently one independent who is not a member of the Independent group.