“Unprecedented” growth in demand as 1420 people receive emergency food from Wisbech food bank in past nine months
- Credit: Archant
A total of 1420 people received three days emergency food from Wisbech food bank in the last nine months, a report has revealed.
From July 2014 to April 2015, 925 adults and 495 children received support from the food bank. In that time, 12,472kg of food was donated, with faith groups, schools and businesses leading the way, and more than 30 people volunteered.
In the East of England, 100,908 people were given three days or more emergency food by Trussell Trust, who run Wisbech food bank, in 2014/5.
As well as providing emergency food, Wisbech food bank provides washing powder, nappies and hygiene products to families who are at breaking point, as well as signposting them to other services in the local area.
Wisbech Foodbank chairman of trustees Keith Aplin said: “There has been an unprecedented growth in demand from Christmas up until last week.
You may also want to watch:
“The main reason is unemployed field and factory workers who are seasonally employed so they are left without work. “Thankfully, we’ve had a lot of generous donations from churches, schools and supermarkets.
“With the Conservatives and Labour continuing to pay off the deficit, it doesn’t look like the situation will change much for the next five years.”
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 3 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 4 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 5 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
- 6 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 7 Room to improve as villagers fail to cope with rampant visitors
- 8 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 9 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 10 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
Wisbech food bank will be holding a collection at Asda in Wisbech on May 9. They are on the look out for volunteers. If you would like to help, contact Keith at 07446 354501 or e-mail info.wisbech,foodbank.org.uk
Wisbech food bank is open on Mondays and Fridays from 2-4pm at the Wisbech Baptist Church on Hill Street.